Saturday, January 23, 2010

Christmas Magic to Majesty

With Christmas quickly approaching, a magic appears to fill the air. The magic is seen in the snowflakes gently falling outside my window, the marathon of carols playing on my radio, the lights bedazzling homes around town, and even in the trees twinkling in windows. The everyday world is transformed into a winter wonderland where people greet one another with cheery smiles and holiday wishes.

When I was a little girl, I loved the “magic” that Christmas created. Of course, I knew Christmas magic truly didn’t exist, but for one month I felt life came as close to magical as possible. My home was etched in sparkling lights, covering the weathered spots; the glowing tree would bring excitement with its growing pile of gifts; evening dishwashing would be accompanied with a chorus of carols; cookies and candies would bring temptation and smiles. Life felt and looked as though it had been plucked from a storybook.

Now at 29, I find it more difficult to see the magic of Christmas. I still see the snow, lights, trees, and gifts; I still hear and sing the well-loved carols, but I find my child-like awe of these things has been replaced with a greater understanding.
As a child, I was taught that Christmas was Jesus’ birthday. I believed it; I participated in the Christmas program at church, but yet the lights, trees, and presents were so much more exciting and magical than the birthday.

I realize now that Christmas magic has only occurred once, or perhaps I should say Christmas majesty. It didn’t happen when I was a little girl either; it occurred over 2,000 years ago in a dilapidated stable. There were no gleaming strings of lights, but there were radiant angels in the sky singing, “Glory to God in the highest." There were no tinseled trees, but there were shepherds and wise men on bended knee. There were no parties and jolly carols, but there was silence and a piercing cry of a newborn, the Son of God.

Because of that cry, Christmas can be celebrated. Because of that cry, I am here to celebrate Christmas… not so much the magic but the majesty of it!Don’t get me wrong—I still enjoy the lights, trees, gifts, and carols; I still like the cheery aura surrounding the Christmas season. But I don’t allow the magic to overtake the majesty of Christmas… for the magic only lasts one month, but the majesty has endured for over 2,000 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment