Saturday, January 23, 2010

No Place Like Home

When one thinks about Christmas, what images come to mind? Is it a gently falling snow that transforms the outdoors into a winter wonderland, or is it light-lined homes that look as though they have been snatched from a Christmas movie? Do the images include rosy-cheeked families gathering, frosted trees, sleigh rides, carolers, gifts, and late-night stocking stuffing?

A few days ago, a friend and I were discussing how Christmas is often depicted with a wintery scene; however, this snowy Christmas picture is also carried into the songs of the season: I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas, Let It Snow, Frosty the Snowman, and Jingle Bells. My friend and I couldn’t help but wonder whether snowy scenes on Christmas cards and winter-themed carols have as much meaning in Arizona or Florida as in Iowa.

If asked last year whether I could celebrate Christmas under a palm tree on a sandy beach, I would have answered with a resounding “Yes!” But this year that resounding “yes” would be marked with hesitation.I never realized how much setting affected my feeling of Christmas until last year when I traveled to North Carolina a week before Christmas Day. My friends and I were welcomed with warm weather, Southern hospitality, and good times.

As Christmas Day neared, I found that I had to keep reminding myself that Christmas was only four days away. It didn’t feel like Christmas. I was surrounded by great friends, saw the decorated homes, heard the familiar carols on the radio, and enjoyed some of their Christmas traditions. But something was missing for me.

I didn’t find that something until I pulled into my snow-packed driveway; it was home. Suddenly, it felt like Christmas was two days away. Suddenly, everything that I knew as Christmas was before me. This was Christmas. This was home.

On that first Christmas, Jesus had to leave His home and come to a fallen world, where He would eventually be despised, mocked, and crucified. He suffered so that one day we can celebrate in our eternal home.

On that day, I will say, “I will celebrate. This is home!”

No comments:

Post a Comment